Skip to main content

Sombrita

Orneriness, and stubbornness (well she's a goat. . .) 
My first goat and still my favorite.
She was a first freshening 2 year old in this picture, she's 8 now


And She's had lots of babies



Such as Buckeye, and his sister Ismira, her first babies.


Rosemary, her second doeling


 And Valentine who grew up and had a bunch of sons! (Just as ornery as her mother, 4 years old and still hasn't given me a doeling!)


One year Sombrita decided to be especially ornery and get bred out of season. In December of that year she had triplets. If an alpine kidding in December wasn't crazy enough (They're seasonal breeders) One of her triplets was out of a different buck, heck a different breed of buck even, than the other 2. At least the doeling was out of the right buck!


Candy Cane



Candy Cane's brothers, The white one was only her half brother. Darned Sombrita. Darned meat goat buck. 

The following year she had triplets again! 2 bucks and a doe. 
One of her sons has sired some very pretty babies. 


Like this set of Alpine/Nubian cross twins.

Her daughter too has had a couple pretty babies


Crystal with a newborn Diamond (Sombrita's first grand daughter, her daughters have been stingy!)

And then this spring Sombrita became a great grandma!


Diamond with her newborn daughter, Emerald.

Along with being an excellent mother, Sombrita is very patient with people learning how to milk her.


Most people I've taught to milk have learned on Sombrita.

Once upon a time I thought Sombrita would make a good pack goat.


She endured it.


And even survived the goat obstacle course I dragged through year after year

Sombrita's also won a few shows.



I got 3 impressive belt buckles thanks to her winning the county fair.

 I even took her to the ADGA national show twice. 


Apparently the pens there met her specifications

Yep, That's Sombrita



I included her in a few of my sr. pictures a couple years ago
She didn't believe it was important to behave well. . .


While all my other goats are definitely livestock, Sombrita's a pet as well.







   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Red Rain Coat

On my first day of ministry work here in Quito, Ecuador I spent 40 minutes standing on a street corner, in the rain no less, waiting for a bus. Thankfully I was wearing my rain coat, and the hours I spent fighting with the dumb thing to make it exactly what I wanted were suddenly worth it.


When I saw "a rain coat" on the World Race packing list, I knew right away I would be making a rain coat. How hard could it be? I picked up 3 yards of waterproof nylon and started looking at rain coat designs. I was ready to get started! 
I decided that since my raincoat needed to be, well, waterproof, I should probably do a bit of research about how to make a good rain coat before I just jumped in. That was a good decision. There's apparently a lot that goes into making a rain coat water proof.

For example, you don't want any pin-holes in your fabric, because those could let water in, so rather than simply pinning my pattern pieces to my fabric and cutting out the rain coat, I use…

I Finally Made It! A Regency Wrap Corset

A regency era dress. Something from the era of Jane Austen. A gown to make me look like I belong in the same room as the Bennett sisters. That's what I've wanted to make for at least the past year, but I keep putting it off.

 Why? The undergarments. Before I could make a regency dress I needed to make regency stays, and for some reason those have not been at the top of my to-do list. I love to sew dresses, but corsets and stays,ugghh! all the mock-ups and fittings that must go into a properly fitting corset. It's a little tedious and I have a hard time convincing myself to make more than one a year. (Strangely though, once I finish a corset I really want to make another. After about a month however, nope, not happening.)
Then Historical Sew Monthly's 2016 challenge schedule came out. January's Challenge, procrastination. Finish a garment you've been putting off. Perfect! I was going to make my regency stays happen!

I decided I wanted front lacing short stays, …

The Jeanius 5-Pocket 7 1/2-Pair Jean Jacket

I wanted a long full skirted jean jacket. I've wanted one for a while now and my ample supply of old jeans seemed just the thing to become said jacket.


This has been my plan since before The Refashioners began. Once I heard what this year's theme was I knew I would be making this jacket. But, dang, I am a procrastinator.
"The jacket will happen." I kept thinking.
"It's too hot to make a jacket now." I told myself.
So here we are, at the end of September, the day before The Refashioners contest ends. It's finally begun to cool off, and my jacket is finally done!


I began it last week. I picked McCall's M6800 as my base pattern. I gathered up my materials. The the cutting began. I seam ripped open the inner leg seam on pair after pair of jeans. 6 pair for the body of the jacket.




















Once the seam ripping was done I laid the jeans out flat and cut out the skirt sections of the jacket. Then I squeezed the bodice section of each piece out of what remained…