!--Related Posts with thumbnails Scripts and Styles Start-->

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Aprons Galore!

Over the past week I only finished one thing, well actually 8 things, aprons. Why? Well last Friday my little sister wore this adorable outfit. One of my old historical dresses and a pinafore.


The pinafore I made her a couple months ago, just for fun. I thought it would be really cute with her historical dresses, and it is! It also does what a pinafore is supposed to do. It keeps her dresses clean, but goodness does it get dirty! After spending the morning out in the goat pen that pretty white pinafore had turned green, brown, and grey. I decided she need some printed pinafores that wouldn't show dirt as easily. So she picked out a couple of fabrics from my stash and we got to work.

The first thing I had to do was figure out a pattern. When I made the white pinafore I used a princess seam bodice pattern. I changed it a lot to get the look I was going for. Well, this time I didn't want to reinvent the wheel.


So I laid the original pinafore out on white paper and traced each piece. I then added seam allowances and we were good to go! By that evening my little sister had two new pinafores, that she had helped make! 


Both pinafores have already gotten plenty of use!
 (and they keep her dresses clean while hiding the dirt!)

Once those were done I decided to get started on another apron project I've been needing to do.
At our last meeting about the mission trip to Guatemala, those of us who will be working with kids decided we needed aprons. Brightly colored aprons with big pockets to be exact. Why? So that we would be easily distinguishable as leaders and have a handy place to carry craft supplies and such. We needed 6 aprons of different colors, one for each of us. Once this was figured out I, of course, volunteered to make these aprons. So last Saturday I got started. 


First I made a pattern out of newspaper. I then cut all 6 aprons out. For the straps I cut bias strips about 3 inches wide. 


I cut the on the bias so I could also bind the curved edges of the aprons with them.


Much easier than making a curved hem! (especially since I would have had to make 12 curved hems, 2 per apron. Yuck!)


The aprons went together really easily! First I hemmed all the straight edges, then sewed on the pockets, and finally the straps. I'm very pleased with how they came out and I hope the rest of the team likes them too!


Now on to the next big project, my sewing room. I need to get it done! I've been putting it off because I have sewing projects I want to work on instead, but at this rate it will never get done. So this week I'm putting all sewing projects on hold so that I can hopefully have a sewing room. Today I wrote down all my plans for it.


Now time to implement these plans!

  



  


No comments:

Post a Comment