Skip to main content

Your Best friend Knows What She's Talking About - The Sweater Dress

When your best friend tells you that an article of clothing you are considering buying isn't all that flattering, you should probably listen. Don't buy that piece of clothing! Did I listen? No, I'm stubborn. This is how I wound up bringing home this purple sweater dress from Goodwill sometime last year. (Yikes, as of 10 hours ago 2015 is last year! Where did it go? I didn't get near as much done as I wanted to!)


My best friend was right. This dress was cute, and would work great on plenty of other people, it just wasn't quite right for me. I never wore it. I love the idea of sweater dresses (thus I bought this one), but they never work out quite like I picture in my head. I should have listened to my best friend. Instead I was stubborn and this dress hung unworn in my closet. Finally I came up with an idea to make it wearable.

Lately I've been really wanting a long cardigan/open front sweatshirt type thing. A few days ago it hit me, I could turn the unworn sweater dress into a long cardigan! First I fixed the where the lattice looking design had come apart on the bodice.

A needle with some purple thread and that was done. Next, I cut it open down the front.


Then I needed to finish off those newly cut edges. After considering a few ideas I decided I wanted the edges to be bound with a contrasting fabric, something that would add some interest to the sweater. I found this long black velvet skirt my sister had outgrown. 


I cut it into 3 inch strips.


I sewed the strips of velvet together end to end, then folded them in half length-wise, and sewed the velvet to the unfinished sweater edges.


Then, just because, I sewed a row of decorative stitches along the edge of the velvet.


The velvet wasn't laying quite right at the neck, it kept flopping in ways I didn't want it to flop. So I sent some elastic through the velvet (which made a convenient casing) to hold the neckline/collar in place, and add a slight ruching effect.  


Finally, as a finishing touch I added a covered hook and eye at the waist.


 Then it was done! My unwearable sweater dress turned wearable cardigan was the perfect thing to wear New Years Eve, festive but comfortable!


So, moral of the story, when your best friend tells you something isn't the most flattering on you, believe her, you won't wear the garment. That is, unless you turn it into something else awesomely wearable first!


Happy New Year! Have an awesome, wonderful, and blessed 2016!

Comments

  1. I like what you did to it. I had to laugh since I have the same sweater dress in green. I like it so much I bought another sweater dress this winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Red Rain Coat

On my first day of ministry work here in Quito, Ecuador I spent 40 minutes standing on a street corner, in the rain no less, waiting for a bus. Thankfully I was wearing my rain coat, and the hours I spent fighting with the dumb thing to make it exactly what I wanted were suddenly worth it.


When I saw "a rain coat" on the World Race packing list, I knew right away I would be making a rain coat. How hard could it be? I picked up 3 yards of waterproof nylon and started looking at rain coat designs. I was ready to get started! 
I decided that since my raincoat needed to be, well, waterproof, I should probably do a bit of research about how to make a good rain coat before I just jumped in. That was a good decision. There's apparently a lot that goes into making a rain coat water proof.

For example, you don't want any pin-holes in your fabric, because those could let water in, so rather than simply pinning my pattern pieces to my fabric and cutting out the rain coat, I use…

I Finally Made It! A Regency Wrap Corset

A regency era dress. Something from the era of Jane Austen. A gown to make me look like I belong in the same room as the Bennett sisters. That's what I've wanted to make for at least the past year, but I keep putting it off.

 Why? The undergarments. Before I could make a regency dress I needed to make regency stays, and for some reason those have not been at the top of my to-do list. I love to sew dresses, but corsets and stays,ugghh! all the mock-ups and fittings that must go into a properly fitting corset. It's a little tedious and I have a hard time convincing myself to make more than one a year. (Strangely though, once I finish a corset I really want to make another. After about a month however, nope, not happening.)
Then Historical Sew Monthly's 2016 challenge schedule came out. January's Challenge, procrastination. Finish a garment you've been putting off. Perfect! I was going to make my regency stays happen!

I decided I wanted front lacing short stays, …

The Jeanius 5-Pocket 7 1/2-Pair Jean Jacket

I wanted a long full skirted jean jacket. I've wanted one for a while now and my ample supply of old jeans seemed just the thing to become said jacket.


This has been my plan since before The Refashioners began. Once I heard what this year's theme was I knew I would be making this jacket. But, dang, I am a procrastinator.
"The jacket will happen." I kept thinking.
"It's too hot to make a jacket now." I told myself.
So here we are, at the end of September, the day before The Refashioners contest ends. It's finally begun to cool off, and my jacket is finally done!


I began it last week. I picked McCall's M6800 as my base pattern. I gathered up my materials. The the cutting began. I seam ripped open the inner leg seam on pair after pair of jeans. 6 pair for the body of the jacket.




















Once the seam ripping was done I laid the jeans out flat and cut out the skirt sections of the jacket. Then I squeezed the bodice section of each piece out of what remained…