Skip to main content

A Monochrome 1890's Petticoat

I made a petticoat!


Ok, yes I know that a petticoat isn't that exciting, but I have reason to be excited about this one. Remember the blue 1890's dress I'm making this month? Well, this petticoat is the first step toward that dress actually happening. Let me back up and review exactly what has happened over that past couple weeks with this dress. 

I picked out my dress fabric. 


As you can see, it's paisley. I'm a huge fan of paisley, it's a pattern so this dress will count for the HSM August challenge, and, most important, paisley is historically accurate for the 1890's (and pretty much all of the 19th century). Hopefully this exact paisley design isn't too historically inaccurate. After looking at lots of pictures of paisley's from the 1890's I've decided it's passable.

1890's blue and white paisley dress

Next, I figured out exactly what I want my dress to look like. This lacy cotton 1890's summer dress:

image source
Yes, it's a bit more elaborate than my previous inspiration image, but isn't it pretty? Also I have lots of narrow white cotton lace just begging for a dress to trim.

Once the fabric and inspiration dress were figured out, it was time to figure out my pattern. I decided to start with the skirt since that should be easier than the bodice pattern will be to make.





With the help of a gored skirt pattern in my stash, I set to up sizing a circle type skirt from the late 1890's from Janet Arnold's book Patterns of Fashion II. Once I made my pattern I of course needed to test it out before I cut into my dress fabric (which I unfortunately have a limited quantity of). Also, I needed a petticoat with the same silhouette as my skirt. Thus, I decided to make a petticoat as my skirt mock-up. 


I cut it out of a 100% cotton sheet using my newly made pattern. I shortened the petticoat a little more than a foot so that I could add an eyelet ruffle from a bedskirt in my stash. Judging by this petticoat I'd say my pattern works and I'm ready to make my dress skirt!


As an added bonus, July's HSM challenge was Monochrome. Well, this petticoat was made in July and it's most certainly monochrome so it's my HSM entry for this month.

Challenge #7: Monochrome.
What the item is: An 1890's petticoat
Fabric/Materials: A 100% cotton queen size sheet and eyelet off of a bedskirt
Pattern: Sized up skirt pattern from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion II
Year: 1898
Notions: Tread, hook and eye
How historically accurate is it? I'm not entirely sure about the fiber content of the ruffle and I did no research on proper construction technique, but I believe this petticoat would certainly be recognised in it's own time so I'll give it an 80%
Hours to complete: 3-4
First worn: Just for pictures July 30th, the event I will be wearing this too is at the end of August
Total cost: The sheet was $3 at a thrift store and the bedskirt was $4, so adding in the thread and hook and eye (already in my stash) I'll say $10


Now, onto sewing my dress!







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Red Rain Coat

On my first day of ministry work here in Quito, Ecuador I spent 40 minutes standing on a street corner, in the rain no less, waiting for a bus. Thankfully I was wearing my rain coat, and the hours I spent fighting with the dumb thing to make it exactly what I wanted were suddenly worth it.


When I saw "a rain coat" on the World Race packing list, I knew right away I would be making a rain coat. How hard could it be? I picked up 3 yards of waterproof nylon and started looking at rain coat designs. I was ready to get started! 
I decided that since my raincoat needed to be, well, waterproof, I should probably do a bit of research about how to make a good rain coat before I just jumped in. That was a good decision. There's apparently a lot that goes into making a rain coat water proof.

For example, you don't want any pin-holes in your fabric, because those could let water in, so rather than simply pinning my pattern pieces to my fabric and cutting out the rain coat, I use…

I Finally Made It! A Regency Wrap Corset

A regency era dress. Something from the era of Jane Austen. A gown to make me look like I belong in the same room as the Bennett sisters. That's what I've wanted to make for at least the past year, but I keep putting it off.

 Why? The undergarments. Before I could make a regency dress I needed to make regency stays, and for some reason those have not been at the top of my to-do list. I love to sew dresses, but corsets and stays,ugghh! all the mock-ups and fittings that must go into a properly fitting corset. It's a little tedious and I have a hard time convincing myself to make more than one a year. (Strangely though, once I finish a corset I really want to make another. After about a month however, nope, not happening.)
Then Historical Sew Monthly's 2016 challenge schedule came out. January's Challenge, procrastination. Finish a garment you've been putting off. Perfect! I was going to make my regency stays happen!

I decided I wanted front lacing short stays, …

The Jeanius 5-Pocket 7 1/2-Pair Jean Jacket

I wanted a long full skirted jean jacket. I've wanted one for a while now and my ample supply of old jeans seemed just the thing to become said jacket.


This has been my plan since before The Refashioners began. Once I heard what this year's theme was I knew I would be making this jacket. But, dang, I am a procrastinator.
"The jacket will happen." I kept thinking.
"It's too hot to make a jacket now." I told myself.
So here we are, at the end of September, the day before The Refashioners contest ends. It's finally begun to cool off, and my jacket is finally done!


I began it last week. I picked McCall's M6800 as my base pattern. I gathered up my materials. The the cutting began. I seam ripped open the inner leg seam on pair after pair of jeans. 6 pair for the body of the jacket.




















Once the seam ripping was done I laid the jeans out flat and cut out the skirt sections of the jacket. Then I squeezed the bodice section of each piece out of what remained…