Skip to main content

Pretty New Soles

Finding the perfect, affordable, shoes to go with a historical dress. That can be a challenge. Well, my sister nailed it when she found these cute old brown shoes at Goodwill for $6. 


She didn't have to work to hard to convince my mom to buy them for her. They would be perfect with her 1890's dress for the Christmas play (yes, both my mom and my sister are in the play)
Thus, the shoes came home with us. My sister wore them once and the sole started to come off of one shoe. Well that wasn't going to work! I glued the sole back on with contact cement (my first time working with the stuff), but it was obvious that the thin, brittle, rubber soles weren't going to last long. Something would have to be done to salvage these cute old shoes.


My dad suggested glueing some thin leather on top of the worn rubber. Easy enough, I just had to find some leather. These old worn out, outgrown, boots of my sister's looked like they would work for the job!


So I pulled out a pair of sharp scissors (though not my sewing scissors!) and began.


The leather, heavily embroidered and lined in stiff vinyl, was surprisingly easy to cut through. In almost no time at all I was tracing out the new soles.


I cut out the new soles and then began the tedious process of trimming away as much of the ivory vinyl lining as I could. 


That took some time, but eventually I had two new soles, all ready to glue on! Then I realized I'd cut out both soles for the same shoe. Oops. I had to cut out a third sole, paying special attention to make sure I cut it out for the opposite shoe, and trim away all the vinyl on it. Finally, I could glue on the new soles!


I brushed both the new and old soles with contact cement. In 15 minutes the shoes had their new soles!


And they were pretty! The heels still needed some help though. Somehow there was just enough leather in that extra sole I'd cut out, and removed the vinyl from, to cover both heels.



All done! Looking at the new soles of these old shoes just makes me happy! They're so pretty, fun, and unexpected. Hopefully they'll help the shoes to last for a while now, at least until my sister out grows them.

As you can see she's already been enjoying them, but not for the Christmas play, sadly. Due to illness the play had to to be postponed and now it won't be until January (after I'm gone) I'm sad to miss the play, but at least I know everyone will be properly outfitted (people had better send me pictures!), and my sister will be wearing the perfect shoes, with very pretty new soles!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Completely Handsewn 1840's Dress - Done!

It's finished, it's actually completely, 100% done! It took hours upon hours, countless stitches, and lots of patience, but my completely handsewn, 1840's fan front, made from a sheet, dress is done!


The pattern was a combination of two of the patterns from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion 1. I sized up the 1840's dress pattern and the 1850's fan front bodice pattern. After multiple mock ups, I had my pattern and was ready to sew the actual dress!

Whilst it was being sewn this dress came everywhere with me, the Heritage Festival, two different camping trips, to work, to friends houses, yep, literally everywhere. Heck, I even worked on it while sitting in traffic on couple different occasions. It was actually rather fun to have a sewing project I could work on any time any place. Hand sewing can be rather convenient!

When I first blogged about this dress I mentioned the plan was to have it done for October's Historical Sew Monthly challenge, unfortunately…

A Jeanius 50's Wrap Crop Top

I wear jeans a lot. At least 4 out of the 7 days of the week. (though over the summer I got that down to 3 or even only 2 days some weeks thanks to all the shorts and skirts I made myself) Jeans are just the most practical garment for my day to day life.


With the beginning of The Refashioner's 2016, theme Jeanius, I've been really tempted by all the amazing inspiration posts to make a shirt out of a pair of jeans, but double denim isn't really my style. So what's the point of a shirt if I won't wear it with jeans? Thus, I'd initially decided there was no possible way I would be making a shirt out of a pair of blue jeans. Then I saw this dark denim shirt one participant made, and it looked good, even great with light jeans. I was hooked. I just had to make myself a shirt out of a pair of dark jeans. Enter: the least jean-like jeans in my stash.


A pair of Docker's trouser-style jeans that used to be my mom's. Then she gave them to me, but I prefer my jea…

A Jeanius Dress For My Sister

So, I've made a third item for The Refashioners 2016, yep, you knew I would. My record shows that when I get into sewing for a theme, refashioned shirts, shorts, even historical dresses, I can't stop at just one or two. Also, I have a heck of a lot of old jeans to do something with. Thus, I definitely had to make my sister something.


Three pair of jeans makes one fun swingy wrap dress. I started with Simplicity 1133, two medium colored pairs of jeans, and one darker pair. All were about the same weight of denim. 

Now, Simplicity 1133 is a reprint of a 70's (I think) pattern. It's rather straight, not swingy at all. Also, it's a miss sized pattern, not a girl sized pattern. However it's a wrap dress that buttons at the shoulders and that's exactly what I wanted for this project, it just required some adjustments for my  girl's size 12 sister. 

First, I traced off the pattern in the smallest size, a 6. Next, I cut the traced pattern up from the bottom to …

I Finally Made It! A Regency Wrap Corset

A regency era dress. Something from the era of Jane Austen. A gown to make me look like I belong in the same room as the Bennett sisters. That's what I've wanted to make for at least the past year, but I keep putting it off.

 Why? The undergarments. Before I could make a regency dress I needed to make regency stays, and for some reason those have not been at the top of my to-do list. I love to sew dresses, but corsets and stays,ugghh! all the mock-ups and fittings that must go into a properly fitting corset. It's a little tedious and I have a hard time convincing myself to make more than one a year. (Strangely though, once I finish a corset I really want to make another. After about a month however, nope, not happening.)
Then Historical Sew Monthly's 2016 challenge schedule came out. January's Challenge, procrastination. Finish a garment you've been putting off. Perfect! I was going to make my regency stays happen!

I decided I wanted front lacing short stays, …

Paisley and Denim Jeanius Dress

The Refashioners is back! Remember all those shirts I refashioned during contest last year? That was great fun! This year's theme? Jeanius. Yep, the goal is to refashion old jeans, luckily I have no shortage of those around here.

Months ago, I looked at my two bins of worn out jeans and decided that this year I needed to do something with them. I can't bear to throw away potentially usable fabric, which is what I classify old jeans as, so over the past several years my stash of old jeans has really built up.


 I started looking up jeans refashions, but there were very few I was actually inspired by. I started thinking how awesome it would be if The Refashioners this year was all about jeans. More inspirational jeans refashions were definitely needed! Even without many jeans refashions on the internet I did come up with a few ideas of things I could use old jeans for.

On Pinterest I found this Anthropologie dress and decided it would be just the thing to recreate from my stash o…