Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Bows and a Cap for the Dragonfly Volante

 Upon completing my Dragonfly Volante, I decided I ought to make a few little accessories to go with it, so it would be ready to wear when an occasion arose. A stomacher, sleeve ruffles, bows, and some sort of cap to go on my head.


That was my proposed list, and I got through half of it back in the fall of 2021. 

The stomacher? I cut that out, made a plan, and never actually made it. Two years later when I was ready to wear the gown I couldn't find the pieces I'd cut out, so I started again from scratch.

The sleeve ruffles? I had a vague plan for those, but never actually did anything with that plan. When I finally did wear the gown, I just wore a set of the sleeve ruffles I made to go with my Sacque Back Bird Gown (apparently I'm drawn to fabric featuring flying creatures) back in 2019. 

The bows? These I actually did make!


In my stash there was a length of mint green rayon satin ribbon. I divided it into 3 and turned it into fancy bows.



I laid out the ribbon in a sort of flat bow shape, with 2 sets of loops rather than one, so as to make a variation of a "4-loop bow".


Then I ran a row of gathering stitches straight down the center and gathered the ribbon up to make the cutest little floofy bows! One to trim each sleeve cuff with, and one for the cap.


The cap? Yes, that happened too!


I looked online at paintings of women in the 1720's and '30's wearing Robe Volantes to see what sort of headgear they were wearing. A mostly flat, mostly circular, little cap, trimmed with a ruffle, seemed to be the choice of the day.


To make my own I cut out a simi-circle and a long narrow strip from some lightweight linen, and roll-hemmed the edges of each.



The long strip got pleated, then folded in half length-wise and slightly whip-gathered.


This gave me a delightfully long, curly, floofy, linen ruffle.



I whip-stitched it around the curved edges of my simi-circle.


I made a little box pleat along the flat edge of the "circle" to help the cap cup my head slightly.



The pleat was covered with one of my green bows, and the cap was done!


Ready to wear with my gown, whenever I found an excuse to do so!





2 comments:

  1. Love the little cap. Totally a great look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful ensemble, Alyssa!
    -Alice

    ReplyDelete