Saturday, August 19, 2017

I Made a Red Horse Dress!

I found a sewing room in Romania!


Yes, a sewing room! Complete with sergers, industrial sewing machines, fancy professional irons, and a fabulous storage room stuffed floor to ceiling with all sorts of pretty fabrics!


Now the best part of this sewing room? It was my ministry for the month. Every day I got to hang out with 5 other people and sew. What ever we made would be sold to benefit the children's home my team was partnered with this month. Sewing and helping kids? This was right up my ally!


On my first day in the sewing room, the director, Katarina, showed me where the patterns and fabric were stored then pretty much told me to make what ever I wanted! 


I had an idea in mind for a little girl's dress and a matching doll dress. So I found a basic bodice pattern, adapted it to be what I wanted, then drafted a circle skirt and sleeve flounces to go with it. Next I went on a search for the perfect fabric and found 2 meters of this pretty red jersey knit fabric featuring a Swedish horse design.


With all the hand sewing I've done on the World Race I'd almost forgotten how quickly I could sew a dress with a sewing machine! By the end of the day I had the little girls' dress and matching doll dress completed!


The next day a girl from the Children's home came to model the dress.


I'd say our model approved of the dress, she could hardly stop spinning in it!


She was also quite a fan of the matching doll dress.


After our mini photo session, she stuck around for a while to watch us sew.


She was fascinated by everything and quite excited when I let her help me use the sewing machine to hem a skirt. 


My sewing room friends and I enjoyed having this child hang out with us for the morning and watching her get excited about everything! In a few years she will have the opportunity to come to the sewing room a couple afternoons a week to learn how to sew and earn some spending money.


Who knows, maybe she'll come to love sewing just as much as I do!


If you want to find out more about what I've been up to in Romania this month, check out my World Race blog!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment