Sunday, February 20, 2022

Ice Skating in a Bustle Dress

 Two weeks ago we had a delightful snow storm - the first one this winter that has resulted in us getting snowed in for a few days - which is generally fun and cozy in my opinion.

Photo credit: Brazilian Baroness

The following weekend, once the roads were clear, the St. Louis Historical Sewing Society had an ice skating outing, which was great fun!


Photo credit: @papagena1791

Clearly the event was scheduled long before we had any idea what the weather would be, but it couldn’t have been better if we’d tried! The temperature was just above freezing so we were comfortable outside and everything was perfectly picturesque with all that glorious white snow!


Photo credit: @papagena1791

There was a fantastic turn out and it was so much fun to see everyone!


Photo credit: @papagena1791

There was a good mix of familiar faces and new people to get acquainted with.

Photo credit: @papagena1791

It was so much fun talking to other costumers and catching up with people I hadn't seen in nearly 2 years that over an hour went by before I paused long enough to rent some skates and give ice skating a try.


I don't think I've ice skated since. . . middle school maybe??? So I really wasn't sure how this was going to go. . .

Photo credit: @papagena1791

Amazingly it was easier to stay on my feet than I had expected! I didn't fall, or even come close to falling, once!

Photo thanks to Seamracer

That said, skating was certainly more exhausting than I expected!

Photo thanks to Seamracer

After a lap or two I came off the ice and was more than happy to take a walk instead!

Photo credit: @papagena1791

There was a delightful old cast iron bridge that was just perfect as a picture back drop!

Photo credit: @papagena1791


We had fun taking pictures of one another and making sure our Victorian and Edwardian winter ensembles were properly documented!

Photo credit: @papagena1791


Speaking of ensembles - yes, I did make a new outfit for the occasion, and I even ventured into a new decade - the 1880's.

Photo credit: @littlebitgerman

And if it hadn't been for the three days leading up to the event where I was snowed in and couldn't go to work, I don't think I would have finished this costume in time.

Photo credit: @littlebitgerman


I finished everything at 10 o'clock the night before the event. A much more reasonable hour than, say, 3 am, which I believe is the time I finished my Francaise the night before the first Saint Louis Historical Sewing Society event I attended. This time I was practically done ahead of schedule! Thank you snow days!

Photo credit: @littlebitgerman

The new costume - layered over a long sleeve shirt and leggings, because I get cold easily - was a delight to wear for the outing!

Photo credit: @papagena1791

Green was a popular choice for this particular get-together!

@sinistra.marissa also in 1880's and @fabricatinghistory in 1890's

I'll get into all the details on my costume in a future blog post. As for now, I'm very happy with how it turned out, and I'm absolutely thrilled I got to spend an afternoon with the Saint Louis Historical Sewing Society again!

Photo credit: @papagena1791

Visiting with other costumers, geeking out over historical fashion, and admiring one another's costumes is so much fun!

Photo thanks to Seamracer

As is ice skating in a bustle dress! After our walk and picture taking, I put the skates back on and got back out on the ice for several more laps.

Photo thanks to Seamracer

And by the end of the afternoon, I think I had the hang of it!

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! I love outdoor ice skating, especially in historical clothes. This looks like great fun!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful activity in historical costumes! Lovely natural setting as a background for the beautiful costumes!

    ReplyDelete