Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Ill-Fitting to Wearable Red Shirt

I was given this shirt. I really liked it. Except for two things. It didn't fit right in the bust or the sleeves. It was too short. 

I considered leaving it be, and just wearing it as it was, too short and uncomfortable. I had no idea how to fix it. I was afraid of messing it up. Then I decided that was silly. After all, it wasn't going to get much wear as it was. What did I have to lose by attempting to fix it? Nothing. So out came the scissors.

I started by cutting off the sleeves to elbow length. This gave me sleeves that were a comfortable length plus fabric to lengthen the bodice with.

Next I cut the shirt in half just above the waist band.

And lengthened the bodice with the fabric from the sleeves, making it the perfect length.

I added some elastic to the new seam so that the shirt wouldn't ride up while being worn.

There was a little leftover fabric, which I used to finish the sleeves with.

To complete the look, and hopefully make the shirt appear a little less altered, I sewed some tan buttons (from my awesome thrifted stash) down the front.

I also added a button to each sleeve, so that they would be a bit more fitted at the elbow.

Then, it was done.

And totally wearable.


1 comment:

  1. Ahhh - you've discovered one of the refashioning secrets. To lengthen a dress or top, it takes a lot less fabric and looks less "refashioned" if you do it at the bodice instead of the hem. I like your touch, adding buttons to integrate everything together.