Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Curtain and Yellow Gingham Circle Skirt

50's dresses. Those full, poofy, swishy skirts. I've been really loving them lately. Ok, so I've always liked them, but lately I've been picking up 50's inspired dress patterns and re-prints of 50's patterns when ever I happen to stumble upon a pattern sale (a rather common occurrence, unfortunately for my wallet), because I really want to make myself a few.

Just a few from my collection . . .
So, I've been collecting patterns, but sadly, before my trip to El Salvador I had no time what so ever to sew any of them. I had projects to finish for clients and projects to finish for my trip, along with the standard work and goats. I was, however, able to squeeze in one 50's inspired garment a few weeks before I left.

I needed skirts for my trip to El Salvador. When we were out going from school to school doing ministry all of us girls were required to wear below knee length skirts with our King's Castle T-shirts. Not a big deal, but, while I have plenty of summer dresses, I did not have enough summer skirts. (The long skirts I made during the winter would have been too hot and heavy for dancing in the El Salvadorian heat.) A few new skirts was an order. I went through my fabric to see if I could get inspired.
I had a length of yellow gingham, given to me by someone at some point in time (unfortunately I can't remember who), that was just begging to be turned into a circle skirt. Then there was a lace curtain, picked up a while back at a thrift store, that paired just perfectly with it. I sketched out my idea, bought a matching yellow fabric for the lining and got to work. 


I cut the lace curtain into the largest circle possible. I measured that, figured out exactly how much more length I needed for this skirt to be below knee length, then cut a bottom circular band that wide from the yellow gingham. I didn't have quite enough gingham so I had to do some piecing on the back. I did my best to match the pattern so I don't think it's too noticeable when the skirt is worn.


The lining is made from yellow poly/cotton broadcloth. There is a slit in the lace on either side for easy access to the pockets in the lining. The waistband is simply a circle of 3 inch wide elastic sewn to the upper edge of the skirt and lining. That elastic waistband is very comfortable!


This skirt is so swishy and fun to wear! (over a crinoline of course for maximum fun and poofyness!)


It's especially fun to twirl in!


Being just below knee length, rather than a full length maxi skirt, this skirt was ideal for dancing, doing skits, and playing with kids in El Salvador. It got worn more than once on my trip, and a couple times to church before I left. (with the crinoline to church, without, of course, in El Salvador.)


Now that I'm back home I'm back to sewing. As I've discovered, thanks to this skirt, that I enjoy wearing to 50's silhouette, I'm ready to begin sewing my 50's-ish dresses! And thanks to my massive fabric stash I already have all the fabric I need. So, guess what I'm going to be working on this weekend?


I'm hoping to knock out more than one of those patterns I showed you at the top of this post, so to my sewing room I go!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there fellow skirt maker! We're delighted to let you know that we just gave your skirt an award. Here's the full scoop: http://skirtfixation.com/2016/09/summer-skirt-awards-2016/
    And since this is our 10th Skirt Awards Ceremony, we're doing something a little special...we're awarding one of you with more than just a badge to post on your website...one of you will take home a gift certificate to Imagine Gnats!
    Anyway, we just wanted to let you know how much we adore your skirt.
    Keep up the beautiful skirt making,
    Audrey & the Skirt Fixation team
    skirtfixation@gmail.com
    www.skirtfixation.com
    Virtual Assistant to Project Run & Play

    ReplyDelete