4 Days before my wedding I suddenly remembered I didn't have a wedding veil yet. I had plans for a wedding veil. I'd picked a design, a length, and even obtained the materials I needed, but in the weeks following the completion of my wedding dress, I'd gotten wrapped up in other wedding preparations and sewing (my mom's dress, bridesmaids' dresses, flower girls' dresses, ring bearer vest, usher vest, and miscellaneous other things. . .) and my need for a veil slipped my mind.
Good thing I remembered to make the veil when I did so I wasn't frantically making it the night before the wedding! (As it was, I made my garter the day before the wedding, because I completely forgot about that little thing until last minute!)
As I said, I had the veil all planned out well before I got around to making it. Back before I got engaged, I came across this picture of a draped veil on Pinterest and fell in love with the look.
So elegant, and different from the standard gathered veils, while still looking classic! I looked through picture after picture of draped veils on Pinterest and fell more and more in love with the style.
The majority of the bridal veils from the era seemed to end about 9"-12" from the floor, so I decided that's how long my veil would be too. During one of my final dress fittings I had my mom measure from the approximant place on my head that the veil would be anchored to about a foot above the floor. This told me how long to cut the embroidered net when I got around to making the veil.
Style, material, and length decided on, the hard part was done! I just needed to make the thing, but how was this style of veil constructed?
My first assumption was that the veil just hung from the flower crown, where it was attached at two separate points spaced out from each other a bit. Then I realized this wasn't going to work.
First off, my florist was making me a real flower crown, which would be delivered the day of the wedding. Thus, I wouldn't have it in my possession ahead of time to attach the veil too.
Second, the weight of the veil would have pulled the flower crown right off the back of my head if there wasn't a major anchoring system in place. That sounded like a headache to me.
The delicate circlette of blossoms I desired would not have been able to support the dramatically long veil I had planned. Another method of veil attachment would need to be obtained. So, I did what any bride in my predicament would do and googled, "how to make a draped wedding veil".
I adjusted the location of the safety pins until I was satisfied with the drape, then I sewed on the hair extension clips where the safety pins were.