It's always nice to get something else checked off a to-do list. Especially when that list is a list of patterns I really want to sew, so getting an item checked off means I have a new article of clothing that I either needed (or in this case. . .umm most cases) or just wanted.
I couple weeks ago I shared a picture of the four 50's re-print or 50's inspired patterns I really wanted to get sewn this summer. I have found that dresses with full, just bellow knee-length skirts are just as comfortable and practical to wear as shorts during the summer. Unfortunately, of all the dresses I have in my closet very few have skirts that are both full enough and long enough for me to move easily and do a verity of activities (such as climbing fences and going up and down creek banks trying to catch frogs, why yes I do have the best job ever) without flashing anyone. 50's dresses though? Those have the perfect skirts. I finished Simplicity 8085, next up was Butterick B5708.
I actually made this pattern about a year ago with a friend who was learning to sew. Once her dress was done, I decided I needed one from this pattern too. So, the next time Butterick patterns were on sale I picked it up, brought it home, and put it away. Then when I was hit with the renewed desire to actually sew these pretty patterns I've been collecting I pulled it out and picked out fabrics from my stash.
There has only been one issue with sewing these dresses entirely from my fabric stash, I have very few lengths of fabric of more than 3 yards, and at least 4 are required for most of these dresses. This one was no exception. I picked out a pretty 3 yard piece of light teal paisley quilting cotton (given to me by my awesome grandma) for the skirt, and that was a little short. I had to take a bit of the fullness out of the skirt in order to get it cut out, but as full as this skirt was, and still is, that wasn't a big deal.
After cutting out my slightly reduced in size shirt I still had enough fabric left to make the lower bodice and side seam pockets. For the upper bodice I picked a one and a half yard piece of a lovely blue and green batik, also given to me by my grandma. The upper bodice pieces are cut on the bias and rather large, plus the lining needed to be cut from the same fabric since it shows at the shoulder ties, so that was just barley enough fabric.
I finished this dress in one afternoon of sewing then wore it the next day. I loved how it looked and it was comfortable, there was just one issue. With all the different ways to tie the shoulder straps it was nearly impossible to keep my bra straps covered, which I really do prefer to do. I am not a fan of wearing a strapless bra (who is?) so I came up with another solution. I cut up an old bra and sewed it in the bodice, just like I did with my red 40's halter dress last year. Issue fixed!
A pretty, comfortable, wearable anywhere dress. That was the goal, and this dress met it.
Work, church, goat pen, I can wear this dress with no issues if I want to. Speaking of goat pen, who is that little brown goat? You haven't seen her before.
Meet Floricita. She is my beloved Sombrita's granddaughter, courtesy of her son Domino. After I lost Brita my friend told me she had a doe she *thought* Domino may have bred when she was keeping him for me last winter. Well, Domino did his job so the day before I left for El Salvador this little lady was born.
My friend called me to say the goat bred by Domino had kidded and I needed to come see the baby. So, over I went to find a little doeling my friend said I could have! The day after I got back from El Salvador I brought her home and I've been bottle feeding her ever since. She's very sweet and friendly and I'm thrilled to have more offspring of Sombrita! Here's hoping she lives up to her Grandmother's legacy. A tall order, I know.
Goats, work and sewing, life's busy, but I can't complain. A Sombrita granddaughter, a fun job, and two of the four patterns on my list sewn up now with good, no great, results. Yep, I can't complain at all!